Here is a delicious and healthy recipe created by Nutritionist Louisa Copping for a quick healthy evening meal: grilled salmon seasoned with Dulse and served with brown rice, beetroot and sweet potato puree.
2x Salmon fillets
1 cup of brown rice
1 medium sweet potato
1 large beetroot
A few handfuls of Kale, spinach or choice of greens
2 tsps of Mara dulse seaweed
Juice from ½ a lemon
Salt and pepper
- Put two pans of water on to boil. One for the rice and one for the beetroot and sweet potato
- Rinse the brown rice in cold water
- Peel sweet potato and beetroot and chop into chunks
- Drizzle the salmon with olive oil and season with pepper, lemon juice, a splash of soy sauce and a teaspoon of dulse on each.
- Add rice to boiling water and leave for approximately 25 minutes or until soft enough. At the same time put the sweet potato and beetroot on to boil for approximately 20 minutes or until soft enough to blend.
- Put the salmon fillets in the oven for approximately 20 minutes or until just cooked.
- When beetroot and sweet potato are soft, drain off but keep some of the water as you can add this to the rice later to colour. Blend the beetroot and sweet potato together with either a hand held blender or in a food processer until it forms a puree. Add salt and pepper to season if desired.
- Add the spinach, kale or greens to a pan of boiling water for a minute or two or alternatively just add in with the rice when it’s nearly cooked.
- Drain the rice, take the salmon out of the oven.
- Poor some of the beetroot and sweet potato water into the rice if you want to add some colour.
- Plate up as desired with puree either on the side or underneath the salmon.
- Wedge of lemon to serve.
This meal is sure to make you feel happy and healthy- as it is just full of the good stuff. Read on to see what Louisa says about the nutrition content (for full references please contact us):
Dulse: Is rich in iodine which helps the thyroid regulate metabolism and energy levels.
Salmon: Contains essential omega 3 fatty acid that help protect cell membranes and help the body respond to the hormone insulin. Omega 3’s help reduce risk of heart disease and also play a part in maintaining good mental clarity and health.
Beetroot: Contains many nutrients as well as nitrate which lowers blood pressure and may help to fight heart disease.
Sweet potato: High in vitamin A needed for immune function, healthy vision, growth and reproduction.
Brown rice: A good source of the mineral selenium which plays a role in antioxidant activates and manganese that help with metabolism of fats, proteins and carbohydrates.