2 tbsp chia seeds
½ cup water
1 ½ cups tapioca starch/flour
1 cup millet flour
1 cup brown rice flour
⅓ cup flax meal
1 teaspoon salt
2 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
1 ½ cups water at room temperature
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp maple syrup
sesame seeds and Mara Seaweed Kombu
- Soak chia seeds in ½ cup water for at least 15 minutes. Preheat the grill to 220C and place a pizza stone or cast iron griddle on top of the grates, regulate heat to keep temperature at 220C.
- In a stand mixer dissolve yeast in 1 ½ cups water, add the olive oil and maple syrup. Let stand 3 minutes until foamy (foamy means the yeast is activated).
- In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients. Mix the soaked chia seeds with the yeast mixture in the mixing bowl on low speed. Add the dry ingredients about ½ cup at a time, until well incorporated and increase speed to medium high until a soft dough is achieved (about 2 minutes).
- Spread dough onto the pizza stone and use a spatula to even it out – you can make the flatbreads any shape you like. Sprinkle a combination of sesame seeds and seaweed on top, cook on each side about 5 minutes with grill lid down.
- Place on cooling racks for at least an hour. Makes 4 large flatbreads