Wonderfully light and dangerously moreish, the recipe combining seaweed and bread is delicious!
by Helen Westwood
170g/6oz of plain brown or wholemeal flour
170g/6oz plain white flour
½ teaspoon of sea salt
1 teaspoon of baking powder
2 teaspoons of Mara Seaweed (any of our seaweeds work in this recipe)
1 tablespoon of linseed
½ teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
290ml or ½ pint of full fat plain yoghurt
30g or 1 oz of cold butter cut into small pieces
A little milk for brushing the dough before cooking
- Preheat the oven to 400F/200C/Gas 6.
- Tip the flours, salt, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, linseed and seaweed into a large mixing bowl and stir.
- Add the butter and rub in with finger tips into small breadcrumbs
- Make a well in the centre and pour in the yoghurt, mixing quickly with a large fork to form soft dough
- Add a little milk if the dough seems too stiff but it should not be too wet or sticky
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly using your hands
- Shape into a ball and place onto a floured baking tray or baking stone
- Cut a cross on the top, brush with a little milk and bake for about 30 to 35 minutes or until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Cool on a wire rack.
- Serve sliced with butter or cheese and pickle J