Avocado Salad with Shony and Wasabi
Enjoy a sophisticated salad by blogger Cicely Violet, which perfectly combines texture and temperature.
Time 20 mins
The coolness of soft avocado and crunchy radish is paired with chewy seaweed and peppered with warm sesame seeds.
"This is a delicious salad that makes use of the delicate salty sea-flavour that is seaweed. My favourite brand to use is Mara, who make a truly scrummy mix called Shony.
I sometimes sprinkle it over my fried eggs in the morning but here use it to a much more elegant and dinner party-worthy end!"
- 2 tsp Shony seaweed flakes
- 4 extra large avocados, buy them ripe but not squishy
- 20 pink radishes, mandolined
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced on the diagonal
- 1 handful of dried arame, a type of seaweed
- 2 tbsp of white sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp of black sesame seeds
- 1 tsp Shony
- 4 tsp of wasabi paste (look for real wasabi paste, not green horseradish!)
- 4 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp Mirin
- 1 tsp lime juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- Hydrate the arame according to packet instructions. Be careful as it will double in volume. Once ready, drain and place in a mixing bowl.
- Place all your dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk until emulsified, then season to taste with the Shony flakes instead of sea salt.
- Roast your sesame seeds for 6 mins or until hot and smelling fragrant. Leave to cool slightly.
- Cut the avocados in half, take out the stones and carefully peel. Then slice the avocados quite thinly.
- Use half your dressing and sesame seeds to dress the arame, then scatter on a serving platter. Fan out your avocado halves on top of the arame, drizzle over the dressing, scatter your radishes and spring onions on top then sprinkle the remaining sesame seeds.
- Finish with Shony, and voila, a delicious salad that looks gorgeous!