Chicken and Leek Soup with Furikake
Furikake 30g pouch - add to basket
Give comforting chicken soup a healthy flavour twist with Furikake seaweed seasoning.
Time 20 mins prep, 35 mins cooking
There's nothing quite like a bowl of chicken soup, and it's all the better with seaweed.
Feel free to add barley, carrots or other soupy favourites - but we like how the savoury spiciness of the Furikake comes through in this recipe.
- 2 tbsp Furikake
- 2 boneless chicken thighs
- 1 large leek, thinly sliced
- ½ medium onion, diced small
- 1 clove garlic, grated or finely minced
- 1tbsp butter
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced into 1cm cubes
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 2 bay leaves
- Place the chicken thighs in 1.5 litres of boiling water. Remove once cooked and set aside to cool. Reserve the water.
- Add the butter to a hot saucepan and once it begins to melt add the garlic, onion and leek. Saute for a few minutes.
- Add the potato and continue to saute for a further few minutes.
- Once the onions are translucent and the potato begins to brown at the edges, add the reserved chicken water, bay leaves and crumble in the stock cube. Add a further 1 litre of water to loosen everything up.
- Bring to a boil then leave to simmer for 20 minutes, until potatoes are soft but not mush.
- Shred the chicken and add to the broth along with the Furikake. Remove the bay leaves.
- Leave to rest for an hour or more, then reheat and enjoy with crusty buttered bread.