Fish Pie with Smoked Haddock and Kombu
A Sunday classic that'll keep for a lazy midweek tea.
TIME 45 mins prep, 30 mins cooking
This classic fish pie is one of our all time favourite Mara Seaweed recipes. It uses both Kombu and Mara's unique seaweed blend Shony for different effects.
Kombu helps to soften the fish during poaching, and adds body to the poaching liquor. Shony gives a fragrant seasoning to the potato topping.
- 3 tbsp Mara Kombu
- 4 tsp of Mara Shony
- 800g potatoes, peeled and freshly boiled
- 300g smoked haddock
- 300g cod
- 400ml milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 50g butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed and diced
- 50g flour
- 125ml double cream
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp chopped dill
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- Set the oven to 180C. Place the fish in a casserole dish and sprinkle with 1.5 tbsp of Kombu, cover with milk. Put in the oven for 15 mins to lightly poach. Once done, drain and save the milk.
- Remove and discard the skin of the fish and then gently flake into bite-size pieces.
- In a large pan, fry the onion and garlic in oil and 25g butter on a low heat.
- When the onions are translucent, stir in the flour and 1.5 tbsp Kombu to make a roux paste. Still stirring, slowly add the warm poaching milk.
- Pour in the cream, then add the mustard, lemon juice and herbs. Season with pepper.
- Pour the mixture over the flaked fish in the casserole dish.
- Mash the potato with 25g butter and Shony and carefully spread over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 20-30 mins, until golden and bubbling.