A great Sunday lunch recipe that'll keep for a lazy midweek tea too, this classic fish pie uses both kombu and Mara's unique blend Shony for different effects. One of our all time favourites.
Makes: 6 servings
Preparation time: 45 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
300g smoked haddock
3 tbsp kombu
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
Juice of ½ lemon
1 tbsp chopped dill
2 tbsp chopped parsley
4 tsp of Shony
800g potatoes, peeled and boiled
1. Set the oven to 180C. Place the fish in a casserole dish and sprinkle with 1 ½ tbsp of Kombu, cover with milk. Put in the oven for 15 mins to lightly poach. Once done, drain the milk and save for later.
2. Using your fingers, flake the fish into bite-size pieces, discard the skin.
3. In a large pan, gently fry the onion and garlic in oil and butter.
4. Stir in the flour and 1 ½ tbsp. Kombu to make a roux paste. Still stirring, slowly add the warm poaching milk.
5. Pour in the cream, add the mustard, lemon juice, herbs. Season with Kombu and pepper.
6. Pour over the flaked fish in the casserole dish.
7. Mash the potato with butter and Shony and spread over the top.
8. Bake in the oven for 20-30 mins, until golden and bubbling.