Gluten Free Lemon Polenta Cake with Shony
Swap salt for Shony in this gluten free cake fit for Paul Hollywood.
Time 15 mins prep, 45 mins baking
On his show “Pies and Puds” in 2014, we gave Great British Bake Off judge Paul Hollywood this unusual gluten free cake to try. It was made for us by our friend Lorna Pellet of LovePureCakes, a natural, gluten-free cake company in Edinburgh.
Lorna used our Shony seaweed blend instead of salt in the cake, for both flavour and decoration, and Paul loved how the seaweed brought out the cake's lemon.
Thanks to Lorna for sharing the recipe with us.
- 25g Shony
- 400g unsalted softened butter
- 225g caster sugar
- 400g ground almonds
- 220g polenta
- 6 eggs
- Zest of 5 unwaxed lemons
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp baking powder (gluten free optional)
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 10g Shony
- 100g icing sugar
- Zest of 1 unwaxed lemon and 1 tbsp juice
- Coconut flakes
- Preheat the oven to 150C/33F. Grease a 30cm tin well.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the ground almonds and continue to beat until combined.
- Beat in the eggs one by one.
- Fold in the Shony, lemon zest, lemon juice, polenta, baking powder and vanilla. Top Tip! Put the baking powder directly onto the lemon juice to create an effervescent reaction which will maximise the raising agent in the cake.
- Pour into the tin and bake for 40-50 minutes until golden brown. Turn onto a wire rack to cool.
- To decorate, mix enough lemon juice with the icing sugar and zest and drizzle over the top. Arrange coconut flakes and sprinkle on the Shony.