Anyone who says veggie meals aren't as good as meat dishes hasn't tried these deliciously savoury, meat-free skewers. With a combo of umami-rich kombu and the textures of halloumi and aubergine, these kebabs are guaranteed to satisfy.
Makes: 4 servings (8 skewers)
Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
3 cloves garlic
10 sprigs thyme
2 tbsp Kombu
4 tbsp olive oil
300g cherry tomatoes
1. Make the marinade by combining the garlic, chilli, thyme, olive oil and one tbsp Kombu in a bowl.
2. Chop up one of the aubergines, one of the courgettes and halloumi into chunks and put in the bowl along with the tomatoes to marinade.
3. Thinly slice the remaining courgette and aubergine into long strips, sprinkle with Kombu.
4. Heat up a griddle pan and add the courgette and aubergine strips until browned in stripes on both sides.
5. To make the kebabs thread the marinated vegetables and halloumi onto the sticks weaving in the griddled strips of aubergine and courgette.
6. Place these on the BBQ for 5-10 mins or under a hot grill for 20-25 mins.
7. Drizzle with leftover marinade and serve with a tzatziki or simple yoghurt dip.