HOMEMADE FALAFEL WITH SHONY SEAWEED
A quick dish which uses our favourite seaweed blend to add a fragrant sweetness and bring balance to savoury, zingy spices.
TIME 20 MINS PREP, 3 MINS COOKING
Stuff a few of these moreish falafel into pitta bread and load up with sliced lettuce or cabbage, cucumber, yogurt and a dollop of sweet chilli sauce. Hard to beat.
You can find more great recipes like this in co-founder Xa's The Seaweed Cookbook.
- 2 tbsp Shony
- 2 x 400g tins of chickpeas
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp plain flour (gluten free is good too)
- 1 small bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 fresh green chilli, deseeded
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 50ml water
- 3 tbsp rapeseed oil
- Drain the chickpeas and put into a food processor.
- Add all the ingredients except the oil.
- Pulse briefly for 30 seconds, it is important that the mixture is not too smooth. If dry, add some water and blitz for a few more seconds.
- Remove from the food processor and shape into small round patties the size of golf balls.
- Heat the oil in a heavy based frying pan until very hot.
- Drop in the falafels and cook for approximately 2-3 minutes, turning every so often until they are golden brown all over.
- Remove from the pan and drain on kitchen paper.