A lovely traditional Scottish treat, shortbread is a semi-sweet biscuit that goes well with a cup of tea. The addition of Shony highlights how well Mara's unique seaweed blend can bring out the best in sweet treats. Thanks to Edinburgh Larder for the recipe.
Makes: 25 biscuits
Preparation time: 30 mins
Baking time: 10 mins
80g caster sugar
40g icing sugar
250g plain flour
120g corn flour
10g Shony (plus extra for dusting)
Pinch of salt
1. Cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy and pale.
2. Add the flour, salt and Shony.
3. Bring together with your hands to form a dough.
4. Roll into logs 3cm wide. Wrap in cling film and chill for at least 4 hours.
5. Preheat oven to 170C.
6. Remove cling film and cut into 5mm slices. Place on a baking tray lined with a silicone mat or baking paper.
7. Bake for about 10 mins until slightly golden around the edges.
8. Cool on a rack and sprinkle with Shony and caster sugar.