A seared tuna steak is a beautiful thing, but can be hard to find locally in Scotland. Do ensure that you source your fish sustainably, from a supermarket or fishmonger. Then give it a delicious Asian twist with chilli, lime and dulse; this recipe is always popular.
Makes: 2 servings
Preparation time: 10 mins
Marinating time: 30 mins
2 sustainably caught tuna steaks
2 red chillis
2 garlic cloves
Juice of 2 limes
Handful of coriander
10 sprigs of basil
4 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp Dulse
1. In an electric mixer place the chilli, herbs, oil and lime juice to combine. Add the Dulse and pepper at the end to taste. It should have a thick liquid consistency.
2. Set aside two tablespoons of the marinade in a bowl and use the rest to coat the tuna and allow to marinade, covered, for 30 mins in the fridge.
3. Heat a hot griddle pan or BBQ.
4. Sear the tuna for two mins for a rare steak, or according to taste, turn over, baste with the marinade and cook the other side.
5. Serve with the reserved marinade and a cucumber salad.