“Seaweed makes desserts inexplicably delicious,” declared Great British Bake Off judge Paul Hollywood when he tried our Shony seaweed back in 2014 on his "Pies and Puds" programme.
Who can resist this umami-mixture of sweet and salt? Not Paul, we had him coming back for more and as this is such a warming dessert we have decided to feature it again. For Christmas, try adding a pinch of all-spice and serve it up with some brandy cream.
Makes: 6 portions
Time: 1 hour 45 mins
500g cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced
250g blackberries (brambles to us)
75g caster sugar
100g plain wholemeal flour
75g porridge oats
100g soft dark brown sugar
75g cold, unsalted butter, cut into 1cm dice
25g sunflower seeds
15g pumpkin seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4 and grease an oven dish roughly 25cm x 20cm.
2. Put the apple, butter and sugar in a pan. Cook over a medium heat for 10 mins, stirring from time to time, until the sugar has dissolved and the fruit is just beginning to collapse.
3. Taste and add more sugar if required. Stir in the brambles and transfer the mixture to the oven dish and set aside.
4. Combine the flour, oats, Shony and sugar in a bowl.
5. Add the butter and rub in lightly with fingertips until the mix resembles course crumbs.
Using a pestle and mortar or a small processor, crush the seeds so they break down a little. Do not reduce them to a fine powder. Stir the crushed seeds into the crumble mixture.
6. Spoon the crumble mixture over the filling. Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown and bubbling. Leave to settle for about 10 mins, then serve with custard, cream, ice cream or brandy cream if it's Christmas time!