Many people compare the iron-rich red seaweed dulse to crispy bacon and it's that smoky, salty, savoury flavour that means it works so well in a simple, fresh pea soup. So swap the bacon for seaweed and try this healthy recipe for a lovely veggie version of pea and ham soup.
Makes: 4 servings
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, roughly chopped
1–2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 medium potato, chopped
2 tsp Dulse (plus 1 tsp to garnish)
1 tsp fresh tarragon, chopped
900ml vegetable stock
150g frozen or fresh peas
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan.
2. Add the onion and garlic and cook over a medium heat for 5 mins until soft but not coloured.
3. Add the potato, Dulse and tarragon and sauté for another minute, stirring well.
4. Now add half the stock, stir and simmer for 20 mins until the potato is soft.
5. Pour this into an electric blender and add the peas and remaining stock.
6. Blend until the desired consistency.
7. Pour the soup back into the saucepan and reheat gently, stirring frequently. Do not boil.
8. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
9. Serve in warm soup bowls and sprinkle with extra Dulse for a final flourish.