Shepherd's Pie with Smoked Dulse
You can easily enhance the flavours in this family favourite with smoky, savoury seaweed.
Time 40 mins prep, 60 mins cooking
Just when you thought a classic couldn't get any better: Mara's award-winning Applewood Smoked Dulse has rich, meaty aromatics which translates into the most moreish mince you've ever eaten.
- 1 tbsp Smoked Dulse
- 1 tbsp Shony
- 1kg big, floury potatoes such as Maris Piper or King Edward
- 900g minced lamb
- 2 large onions
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery sticks
- 100g butter
- Splash of milk
- 3 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 stock cube dissolved in 350ml water
- Chop, boil and mash the potatoes, adding milk, half the butter and Shony. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Dice the onions, carrots and celery.
- Melt the rest of the butter in a large frying pan and add the onions. When they soften and turn translucent, add the carrots and celery.
- When the onions are golden, add the mince and stir continuously until it browns.
- Add thyme, Smoked Dulse, Worcestershire sauce and stock. Leave to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Place the lamb in a baking dish and cover evenly with the mash. Create furrows lengthwise using the back of a fork to ensure a crispiness is achieved. Bake for 30 minutes.