Seaweed and chocolate is a real sweet-savoury treat. Our exclusive seaweed blend, Shony, has a mild flavour that works really well in desserts, especially with chocolate. Try it in truffles, brownies and cheesecake, but first, try it in this simply decadent chocolate tart.
Thanks to Gina Mackay for the recipe.
Makes: 8-10 slices, depending on how greedy you are.
Time: 45 minutes
- 300ml double cream
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp Shony seaweed
- 50g unsalted butter, softened
- 200g dark chocolate
- 50ml milk
- 375g sweet shortcrust pastry
- Preheat oven to 180°C/gas 4.
- Roll out the pastry and use it to line a 23cm/8inch greased tart tin.
- Cover with baking paper, fill with dried beans and bake blind for 10-15 minutes. Remove beans and bake again for 15 minutes until golden.
- Put the cream and sugar in a pan and bring to the boil. Remove as soon as the mixture boils up.
- Off the heat, add the butter and chocolate. Stir until blended and allow to cool a little, then stir in the milk.
- Keep stirring until shiny, then stir in three-quarters of the seaweed.
- Pour into the tart shell and leave at room temperature too cool, then place in a fridge until set.
- Sprinkle the remaining seaweed lightly all over, then serve.