The combination of mushrooms, Parmesan and kombu seaweed, three foods high in glutamic acid, give this dish an unbeatable umami flavour, delivering a hefty hit of savouriness so satisfying you'll be clamouring for more.
Makes: 4 servings
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
400g mushrooms, washed
1 tbsp Kombu
2 shallots, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1.2 litres vegetable stock
300g risotto rice
75ml white wine
75ml double cream
50g Parmesan, finely grated
Juice of half a lemon
Handful of parsley, finely chopped
1. Melt the butter and half the garlic. Fry gently adding the mushrooms and Kombu and some pepper. Cook for 10 minutes then leave aside.
2. Heat the stock in a saucepan over a low heat until almost simmering.
3. In a separate heavy based saucepan, melt the butter and oil. Lightly fry the shallots and garlic for 3-5 minutes until soft.
4. Add the rice and, stirring continuously, add the white wine. Cook until the wine has almost evaporated.
5. Start ladling in the stock only adding more once the previous spoonful has been absorbed.
6. Once the rice is creamy in texture and the rice grains are cooked through (20-25 minutes) stir in the cream. Then add the Parmesan, lemon juice, the cooked mushrooms and parsley to garnish.