Umami-Rich Mushroom Risotto with Shony
Mushroom and Shony are the perfect savoury partners.
Time 10 mins prep, 40 mins cooking
The combination of mushrooms, Parmesan and shony seaweed, three foods high in glutamic acid, give this dish an unbeatable umami flavour, delivering a hefty hit of savouriness so satisfying you'll be clamouring for more.
- 1 tbsp Shony
- 400g mushrooms, washed
- 300g risotto rice
- 50g butter
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1.2 litres vegetable stock
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 75ml white wine
- 75ml double cream
- 50g Parmesan, finely grated
- Juice of half a lemon
- Handful of parsley, finely chopped
- Melt the butter and saute half of the garlic. Fry gently, adding the mushrooms, Shony and some pepper. Cook for 10 minutes then leave aside.
- Heat the stock in a saucepan over a low heat until almost simmering.
- In a separate heavy-based saucepan, lightly fry the shallots and the rest of the garlic in oil for 3-5 minutes until soft.
- Add the rice and, stirring continuously, add the white wine. Cook until the wine has almost evaporated.
- Start ladling in the stock, only adding more once the previous spoonful has been absorbed.
- Once the rice is creamy in texture and the grains are cooked through (20-25 minutes), stir in the cream.
- Add the Parmesan, lemon juice and cooked mushrooms. Garnish with parsley.