Butternut Squash and Kombu Restorative Soup
Dulse Seaweed Flakes 30g Pouch - add to basket Kombu Kelp Seaweed Flakes 50g Pouch - add to basket
A cheerful blend of ginger, chilli and seaweed, this remedial soup will leave you feeling tip top.
Time 2 hours prep (including soaking time), 5 mins cooking
Time 15 mins prep, 30 mins cooking
Ginger improves the absorption and assimilation of essential nutrients in the body, such as iron, iodine and magnesium. Kombu seaweed has plenty of these minerals, making them an ideal combination in this soup.
With the first winter frost of the year, we thought it was most definitely time to bring out this deliciously warming and restorative soup. Rich butternut squash with coconut milk is incredibly soothing, with plenty of healing properties from the ginger and Kombu seaweed, and just enough spice to get the blood pumping. A cheerful soup for a cold Monday lunchtime.
- 1 tsp Kombu
- 1 large butternut squash
- 1 onion
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 200ml Kombu stock (see below)
- 10cm chunk of ginger (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 6 sprigs of thyme
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp of chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp Dulse
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
Kombu Stock Method
- Measure out 1 litre of water and put it in a pan with 1 tbsp Kombu flakes, leave to soak for a couple of hours.
- Bring the pan of water almost to the boil. Just before it's about to boil, remove from the heat and sieve, then set aside.
- Finely chop the onion and fry it gently in the butter and olive oil until translucent.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for one minute, stirring all the while.
- Tumble in the cubed butternut squash followed by the thyme, chilli, cumin and Kombu. Stir thoroughly to coat the squash and fry briefly.
- Pour in the Kombu stock to cover and leave to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Ten minutes before serving add the coconut milk, season it and let it bubble.
- Serve with a sprinkle of Dulse and smoked paprika and a hunk of crusty bread.