Curried Lentil and Veg Soup with Dulse Seaweed
Perfect for winter, this highly nutritional soup with seaweed will help to warm you up and boost your immune system.
Time 15 mins prep, 30 mins cooking
Feeling under the weather this season? The contents of this seaweed-enhanced soup should help kick your cold. Garlic is not only antiviral, it's also a strong antioxidant, whilst Dulse seaweed is a source of vitamin C, zinc and immune-boosting nutrients.
Thanks to home chef and forager Helen Westwood for this delightful recipe.
- 2 tsp Dulse
- 500g of carrots, peeled and chopped
- 500g of sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 200g of dried red lentils
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 inch piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 tbsp of chopped fresh coriander
- 3 tsp of curry powder
- Approx 2 to 3 litres of vegetable stock made with 2 vegetable stock cubes (use enough stock to cover the vegetables during cooking)
- Sauté the onion, sweet potatoes and carrots with the garlic, ginger, coriander and curry powder in the olive oil for a few minutes.
- Add the hot stock, lentils, tomatoes and Dulse, ensuring that there is enough stock to cover all the ingredients. Add more stock if you like your soup thinner as long as all the ingredients are submerged during cooking.
- Bring back to the boil, then reduce the heat to simmer for approx. 25 minutes until the vegetables are cooked and the lentils are soft.
- Remove from the heat and use a hand blender to blend until smooth, or serve chunky if preferred.
- Serve sprinkled with more Dulse, and enjoy with some homemade chunky bread and butter.