Healthy Savoury Date and Nut Bars
These savoury date and nut bars are 'possibly virtuous' - and that's good enough for us!
Makes 8-10 bars
Time 15 mins
If you need an 11am pick me up that won't offend your office colleagues on a diet - or something nutritious to give the kids at break time - try this recipe for healthy date and nut bars from Caroline of Edinburgh Foody.
"These savoury date and nut bars are great pick-me-ups in the afternoon, with a cup of coffee, or when you fancy something at your desk. They're possibly virtuous: raw, full of minerals and fibre. (And a good amount of naturally occurring sugars and fats.)
I like them hot and smokey, so use the greater amount of chipotle. If you don't like things quite so hot, use less, and add a little smoked paprika instead."
- 2 tsp Kombu kelp flakes, plus a little more to serve
- 130g dates
- 100g cashew nuts
- 30g pine nuts
- 0.5-1 tsp chipotle or dried chilli flakes
- Put all ingredients in a food processor or mixed (a mixer attachment to a stick blender works well).
- Pulse until everything is thoroughly mixed and starts clumping together in the mixer.
- Check the flavour and adjust as desired. Note that both chilli and seaweed flavour will intensify over time.
- Pour out on a piece of grease-proof paper and shape into a rectangle.
- Cut into eight to ten pieces.
- Tidy up the shape with your fingers, then wrap in kitchen roll and leave overnight. This draws some of the nut oils out of the bar and dries the surface so its less sticky.
- Before serving, dust with a little extra Kombu kelp.
Store in a dry and cool place for up to two weeks.