Mara Mac 'n Cheese
- add to basket
Home Comfort Food with a Flavour Twist - Quick and Scrumptious - with Dulse flakes instead of Bacon bits!
Time 10 mins prep, 25 mins cooking
A go-to recipe for a tasty and nourishing meal at any time of the year. The addition of Mara's Smoked Dulse or Dulse provides colour and essential minerals. Think of the Smoked Dulse as providing a smoky bacony like flavour - but its vegetarian! You can also use unsmoked Dulse for a slightly milder flavour.
- 1 tbsp Applewood Smoked Dulse
- 200g macaroni
- 500ml milk
- 100g grated cheese
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 25g butter
- 1tbsp mustard
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil.
- Add the macaroni, stir once and reduce the heat to just above simmering. Cook the macaroni until tender.
- While the macaroni cooks make the sauce. Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the flour and mix to a paste.
- Whisk in the mustard and milk and simmer until the sauce thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Add the smoked dulse and the cheese, reserving 1 tbsp or so for the top
- When the macaroni is ready, drain and place into a greased oven proof dish, pour over the sauce and stir to mix through. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and put the dish in the oven or under a moderate grill until the cheese bubbles and melts.