Panamenian Plantain Seaweed Crisps
Snack guilt-free with these delicious Shony® seaweed-infused crisps.
Time 15 mins prep, 15 mins cooking
This is a recipe from our resident Panamenian, Cristina, who has been busy cooking up a Latin American Scottish fusion snack: plantain seaweed crisps. They go very well together as the plain plantain flavour is a fantastic back drop to showcase our delicious and beautiful Scottish seaweed.
- 1 tbsp Shony®, or more to taste
- 1 plantain - it must be green and firm
- Plenty of rapeseed oil, enough to fill half a saucepan
- Chop the ends off the plantain. Make three skin deep cuts down the length of the skin, and use these to help peel the skin off.
- Using a vegetable peeler, slice the plantain into very thin crisp shapes.
- Put a large saucepan half-filled with rapeseed oil on a medium to high heat.
- Use a slotted spoon to deep fry the plantains in batches. They should sizzle when added to the oil.
- Place the cooked ones on a plate lined with kitchen towel. Once all the crisps are done, sprinkle with Shony®.