Pearl Barley and Shony Tabbouleh
Shony Seaweed Flakes 30g Pouch - add to basket
A fresh and filling salad from co-founder Xa's The Seaweed Cookbook.
Time 35 mins
"When I first ate tabbouleh I could not believe how much flavour was packed into what appeared to be a simple salad with few ingredients.
The seaweed-flavoured seeds take the salad one step further in terms of complexity and I think it works well. There’s a lot going on here."
- 1 tablespoon Shony
- 50g pearl barley
- 50g cashew or pistachio nuts
- A generous glug of good-quality olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 80g fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 80g fresh mint
- 6 spring onions
- ¼ cucumber, diced into 1cm cubes
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- Submerge your pearl barley in water and boil for 30 to 35 minutes until tender.
- Drain and set aside and, while still warm, pour over a generous glug of olive oil.
- Toast the nuts, seaweed and spices in a medium-hot dry frying pan until they turn pale golden and aromatic.
- Crush them all in a pestle and mortar. Add the nuts and spiced seeds to the pearl barley.
- Finely slice your parsley leaves and stems, mint and spring onions. Add to your salad along with the cucumber and tomatoes.
- Mix together with your pearl barley, and finally, add your lime juice, allspice and garlic cloves.