Sarah Raven's Gentlemen's Relish with Mara Seaweed
Whip up a delicious and exciting addition to your store cupboard.
Time 30 mins prep (inclusing soaking time), 30 mins cooking
Earlier this summer, Mara's co-founder Xa, spent two inspiring days in the kitchen with multi-talented cook, gardener and broadcaster Sarah Raven, who had asked to be shown the rudiments of identifying seaweed and guidance as to how they worked in the kitchen.
"We experimented with fresh versus dried seaweed in the recipe, and concluded that the flavour punch was delivered more successfully from the dried version (ten to one flavour ratio). The fresh seaweed imparted a milder herbier taste which we found uninteresting. Dried seaweed packed a flavour bomb of umami marine tastiness. You could even be fooled that it was anchovy paste not seaweed. Sarah and I were both transported back to the tea table with memories of our dads, who both loved Gentleman’s Relish. A spread that is seldom seen in delis and has almost fallen out of fashion, but when updated, we believe earns its place back at the table"
- 50g Kombu
- 50g Dulse
- 25g Shony®
- 2 tbsp fresh white breadcrumbs
- 150g butter
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp crumbled dried oregano
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground mace
- 1 pinch ground ginger
- Black pepper to season
- Place dried seaweed in a bowl, cover with hot water and set aside to re-constitute for 30 mins.
- Transfer the seaweed to a pan along with the soaking water.
- Bring to a boil and cook for about 30 mins or until the seaweed breaks down to a slurry.
- Drain, then place the seaweed in a food processor and render to a paste. (Add enough of cooking liquid so as to get a stiff slurry.)
- Stir in breadcrumbs, spices and pepper then spoon paste into a large ramekin.
- Cover and chill in fridge before serving.