Spelt Bread with Kombu Kelp
Kombu Kelp Seaweed Flakes 50g Pouch - add to basket
Spice up your loaf with the addition of Kombu powder to create extra flavour, whilst minimising salt content.
Time 2 hours 15 mins prep, 30 mins cooking
- 4 tsp Kombu powder
- 250g spelt flour
- 250g wholemeal flour
- 340ml water (hand-hot)
- 2 tbsp seeds (sunflower, pumpkin)
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1.5 tsp dry yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp clear honey
- 1 tsp oil for oiling surface
- Put the flour, Kombu, yeast, salt, and seeds in a large bowl and mix with your hands.
- Mix the oil, water and honey together and then stir into the dry ingredients until it becomes a dough.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly oiled surface and keep pulling at it, folding it in on itself. Do this for 5 minutes until the dough is elastic. Add flour to your hands if they get sticky.
- Clean and oil the mixing bowl and return the dough to the bowl and cover with a damp tea towel to prove for 1 hour.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and put an empty roasting tin in the oven. Heat oven to 200C.
- Scoop the dough out of the bowl. Turn it out on the surface and knead it firmly to knock out the air.
- Put the loaf on the baking tray, cover with the tea towel and let it prove for another hour.
- Sprinkle with flour and score the top.
- Pour cold water into the hot empty roasting tin and put the loaf on the baking tray into the middle of the oven for 30 minutes.