Sushi Balls with Shony® Seaweed
Recreate this Japanese favourite with a Scottish twist. Mara's Shony® creates the perfect delicate finish.
Time 15 mins prep, 15 mins cooking
Thanks to RR. Spink & Sons for letting us share this recipe. Chef Scott Fraser explains,
"To complement the fantastic Scottish smoked trout, I've included Mara® Shony® Seaweed in place of traditional Japanese 'kombu'; this award-winning Scottish seasoning is more delicate in flavour, so doesn't threaten to overwhelm the delicate flavour of the fish."
- 1 tbsp Shony®
- 100g cold smoked trout
- 3 cups Japanese rice
- 3 1/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp of Japanese mayonnaise
- 1 tsp salt
- Place the sushi rice and water in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Put on the lid and bring to the boil. Cook on a low heat for 5 minutes and turn off the heat. Leave to sit for 12 minutes to steam.
- Remove the rice and put into a clean bowl.
- Mix the sugar, salt and vinegar together. While the rice is still warm add the vinegar to the mixture.
- Allow the rice to cool.
- Mince the trout and fold through the rice mixture. Roll the mix into 12 balls and chill in the fridge.
- Before serving, roll each ball in the Shony® seaweed until covered. Top with a dot of Japanese mayonnaise.