Xa's Summer Slaw with Furikake
Furikake adds spice and smoke to this fresh, crunchy seaweed speckled salad.
Time 15 mins
This crunchy slaw is all about texture, while Furikake seaweed seasoning adds fiery, salty and smoky notes to complement the citrus zing of the dressing. No salt required in this salad - it's all in the natural sodium in the seaweed!
Taken from Xa Milne's The Seaweed Cookbook, Michael Joseph, Penguin.
- 3 teaspoons Furikake
- 200g red cabbage
- 1 medium carrot
- 150g celeriac or daikon radish
- ½ green pepper
- 1 small bunch coriander chopped roughly, to garnish
- 80ml tahini
- 1 clove garlic (chopped finely and mashed)
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2-6 tbsp lukewarm water
- Slice the cabbage finely by hand or in a food processor. Peel the carrots and celeriac and cut into thin julienne lengths. De-seed the green pepper and slice into matchstick-size pieces.
- For the dressing whisk the tahini, garlic pulp, lime juice and olive oil together until it forms a thick paste. Add the water slowly until it reaches the consistency of thin yoghurt.
- Spoon a couple of tablespoons of dressing over your summer slaw, turning the vegetables to make sure they are evenly covered. Sprinkle with Furikake and throw on the torn coriander. Keep the excess dressing in a jar in the fridge and use as required.